Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Things You Learn in College

Just before Mitchell's 19th birthday, I sent him a care package.  And because this year he's living in an apartment with a kitchen and not a dorm room, I sent him most of the ingredients (sans the eggs and oil) so he could make and enjoy his favorite birthday cake .

This is his favorite cake:
I'm sure you've tried it.  It's a chocolate cake with caramel and condensed milk inside, topped with cool whip and crumbled toffee bars.  Yes, you know the one.

All these years I've never called the cake by its real name.  Instead, I've been calling it "Toffee Cake".

Mitchell was excited to get his birthday box in the mail and he went to work making the cake to share with his roommates.  When we called him on his birthday he thanked me for the package and then he said, "Mom did you know the cake is really called, 'Better than Sex Cake'?"

To which I simply said, "Yes I did."

"Really?" he replied, "you knew?"

"Yep."  Then I added,  "I know, it's a little shocking that I was actually trying to be appropriate for once."

"Yeah," he echoed, "I'm shocked."

So from the sound of things I guess my son is learning a lot in college--namely the real and salacious name of his favorite cake AND the fact that his mother can restrain herself from time to time from impropriety.  I was hoping he was learning more math and science but I guess learning something is better than nothing at all.



2 comments:

  1. I love this! one of my favorite posts so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bigger shock to me is that a college-aged boy was googling cake recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!