Thursday, August 12, 2010

Two Sisters on Holiday

Last year, due to a wedding reception, our yard looked like it could grace the cover of a garden magazine.  This year however, it wouldn't even find itself eligible for even the back cover of "Wilderness Weekly", if a magazine such as that exists.

The day before my birthday I decided that I'd been ignoring the yard for too long.  I was determined to enjoy a care-free summer birthday on a weed-free lawn so I donned my garden gloves and got to work.  Unfortunately the sun went down before I finished eradicating all evidence of the jungle theme that had long overtaken the yard.  I had managed everything but a small stretch in the very front of the house, which was naturally the place where the hardest most aggravating weeds were lodged.  This meant only one thing--
cussing my way to the finish line...on my birthday.

All night I dreamed of pulling noxious weeds.  And when morning broke I was exhausted.  Suddenly my eyes opened with great alarm sensing that my sister, who was in town for a visit,  had gotten up and finished the weeding.  THE REALLY HARD NOXIOUS WEEDING.

I sprang from my bed and looked out the window and indeed the weeds were gone!  I quickly got dressed and headed down the stairs and out the front door to scold her...she was supposed to be on vacation!  Not weeding the hardest part of my lawn!

As I stood on the grass and inspected her incredible handiwork I suddenly realized the wrong sister had weeded my yard.  The telltale signs of my SISTER-IN-LAW'S peculiarities revealed the true identity of the birthday weeder.

All the weeds had been eradicated except for a small untouched patch of rapscallions.  A little "weed holiday" I call it.

You see my sister-in-law has this peculiar habit [I call it a disorder].  Whatever project she's in the middle of, be it painting a wall, or sewing, or cleaning, or whatever venture she's aptly engaged in, she suddenly skips a spot in a highly noticeable place and then keeps going as if nothing was wrong.  In the painting industry they actually refer to this as a "holiday", I call it "perplexing", while she considers it "amusing".

As you can see below, there in my FRONT yard, she'd weeded everything but a little spot.  She completely skipped it over and continued weeding.

Now I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, or judge a birthday weeder's good intentions, that is unless I'm trying to discover just who to thank for weeding PART of my lawn, but not all of it.

Then, I couldn't resist adding a little  yard sign...

Then I went and thanked her for a job almost well done!

Meanwhile, my real sister, the one on vacation, was doing just that...sleeping in on her much needed summer break.  Apparently they're both good at enjoying a nice holiday.

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Your Biggest Fan, Carrie Tigger

    ReplyDelete
  2. HILARIOUS! You are absolutely BRILLIANT in your writing!

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. While YOUR sister enjoyed her holiday by avoiding yardwork and sleeping in MY sister was doing the opposite. My garden never had it so good! I'm just not prepared to get up at 5AM and pull weeds, but she thinks it's a dang treat. It was embarassing, actually. The neighbors even giggled about how I was working her like a slave! And now, she's only been gone a month and it's all gone to pot! See, the whole exercise is useless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!