Thursday, August 26, 2010

Mission Accomplished?

Just got back from THE wedding...and I'm posting to report that operation "Road Runner Revenge" was carried out.

First, for any of you who may have developed a bizarre fondness for the unsightly road runner starring in my previous post and therefore might be contemplating smuggling such an item across state boarders to your next wedding destination via the friendly skies, I must warn you that bypassing security with a colorful metal bird in your carry-on will be extremely problematic.  Apparently gaudy metal road runners are mentioned on the notorious no-fly list at checkpoint charlie, as, I can only assume, it just might be used to bludgeon annoying passengers or perhaps be used to threaten crew members and overtake an aircraft.  But such hazards can usually be avoided by the universal solution...CASH.  I promptly paid $35 and checked in my "hazardous" luggage, but not before warning the lady at the counter that my suitcase contained a "very dear and sentimental" yet admittedly loathsome "family heirloom" and that I hoped she could reassure me that extreme care would be taken with my precious cargo.

Once I arrived, I had to keep the enormous thing under wraps for an entire week.  My friends wondered why I often wore the same clothes day after day and I was reluctant to explain that the long lost road runner from Dave's now infamous prank had staked claim to most of the confines of my suitcase leaving little space to pack clothes.

Finally, after a week of secrecy the wedding reception officially began and so did my Road Runner Revenge.

The Road Runner's long awaited "outing" finally occurred while official family photos were being taken.  Sensing the moment of unveiling was at hand, I dislodged the monstrosity from my case and rushed to the scene so it could have it's photo taken with the now shocked and horrified couple.  Though thankfully, once the dear bird from last year's reception was recognized, it was met with laughs and good humor.

I managed to take a few photos here and there to document the whole melodious though slightly scandalous affair...

Here's the road runner signing the guest book...

Enhancing the centerpiece...

At one of the food tables...

A closer view. It makes a nice skewer holder don't you think??

Near the cupcake stand as it snacks on a raspberry...

At the cake table...

Tripping the light fantastic with the crowd...

Flirting with the ladies...

Hijacking the slide show screen...

And finally, our road runner partied so hard it fell asleep with the little people...

Thankfully the bride and groom were good sports and posed with the darn thing not only for a few official photos but even for part of the cake cutting, unfortunately those pictures are still safely lodged inside the photographer's memory card.

Somehow, the frightful bird became the hit of the party-be it an often confusing and somewhat hideous hit of the party.  Ultimately the whole plan may have backfired since now both the bride's siblings and my children have all requested the bird be gently packed away for the next family wedding.  So much for horrifying Dave's posterity.

And so much Road Runner Revenge...I was hoping to be rid of the awful thing once and for all...not to mention the fact that I was also hoping to list it on ebay and recoup my $35 check-in fee.

I guess Dave has the final laugh.  Sadly, it now looks like I'll never be rid of the thing.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!