Monday, August 16, 2010

Road Runner Revenge!

Oh I love a good payday!  As this auto-posts, I am on a plane, bags packed, plan in place, and ready for road runner revenge.  And this little fellow you see pictured here has been stored up collecting dust waiting for this day to arrive, and he/she/it is about to rear its ugly head.  At this sad point in my premeditated scheme, I must offer an apology to a certain bride to be, however weak my apology may be.  

"Sorry Sarah, but your father made me do it."

I've been waiting to exact sweet harmonious revenge since the dreaded "Road Runner Ruckus" of 2009.  That would be the summer my daughter's wedding took place.  The year of destiny when she not only picked a man to spend the rest of her life with, but, more importantly, she picked the wedding colors that would seal her fate.

Picking your wedding colors doesn't seem like a big deal.  Unless you happen to pick Red, Orange, and Yellow which, in my frank opinion, would freak any mother out, especially if that mother is ME.  Once the colors were chosen it was then my job to host a garden reception using said colors while perilously trying hard not to have it all look like Halloween-though I did think of running with the idea as it is a sadly underused wedding theme.

After breathing in a paper bag and sharing my plight with many an understanding friend I finally decided I could pull off such a challenge.  My idea was to use baskets and baskets of potted flowers and go with a country vineyard sort of wishful notion.

As the day approached my good friends Dave and Sharie arrived on the scene a week early to lend a generous helping hand.  Sharie was an unsung hero who worked tirelessly behind the scenes. Dave was a miracle worker too; he lifted, carried, set things up, took things down, all with very little complaining (that's the miracle part).

Then an unexpected public offering of generosity was presented...

A very thoughtful someone, upon hearing details of the wedding colors, offered up a lovely accoutrement that contained all the perfect hues.  She offered up this beauty that defies description:
In my shock and horror, my "No, but thank you for your very kind offer" belched out a little more harsh and spewed out without any polite mask of contempt like, "NO THANK YOU!"  A little awkward but that was the end of the affair, or so I thought.  Dave, upon hearing the unfortunate yet unbridled disdain in my reply simply waited for me to leave so that he could abduct the offending object and display it at the wedding without my knowledge.

Not only did he display it, but he told the photographer it was a very "special family heirloom" and encouraged her to take lots of pictures of it as the loathsome creature made its rounds at the reception.

It made it's first appearance on one of the food tables 
(in front of the tiered basket) as it was being laid out. 
Until it became overcrowded with more baskets of food.

Next Dave put it on another table up food being set up,
luckily that too got overcrowded...
So then it spent some time greeting guests
as they sought for refreshment...

Then off to spend some time at the BBQ...

until the popular bird starting making its way
through the guest tables.
Dave had all the guests posing for pictures with the bird!

Finally it graced the Bride and Groom's table:

Where it apparently spent the rest of the evening...

I was completely unaware until the photos came back from the wedding.

And now, thanks to Dave, our little road runner--or seriously, it could be a rooster, or a molting chicken perhaps--whatever it is, it has indeed become a very "special family heirloom" that is now safely packed in my luggage as I head off to help DAVE and Sharie with their daughter's wedding.

Sweet Road Runner Revenge!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Now that it's become a family tradition looks like you'll be stuck with red, orange and yellow as the color for ALL future weddings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!