Friday, October 7, 2011

My 'Icy Hot' Hubby

Mark just ran his first Marathon. After doing Triathlons for the past few years he decided to park his bike for a season and focus on his footwork.  He decided he wanted to run in the St. George Marathon and finish with a 3:25

On race day, he was off to a great start and ran with the 3:15 pace runners for the  
first 22 miles--something I couldn't do even if I was in a car.  Then, at 22 1/2 miles his calves started cramping up and it was all he could do to walk slowly to the aid station up ahead. When he limped in under the canopy, it was there that Mark learned the miracle of extra strength Icy Hot.

He said the best part of the race was there at that aid station when he got his calves slathered in icy hot.  He was in so much pain he said he didn't even care if he was getting a calf rub down by "two dudes". 

At this point, I will tell you that this is exactly why you aren't gonna catch me running a full marathon anytime soon.  When the best part of your race happens at an aid station, that should tell you something.  And although getting my calves massaged by "two dudes" does sound enticing to me, it's just not enough to lure me into the whole deal SO, as for me and my muffin top, we shall remain happily contented at the finish line with camera and sign in hand.  And as an experienced race sign holder, let me just say that cheering on racers is a highly under-appreciated job.  It takes a lot of stamina to stand in the hot sun and hold up a sign while you wait for your man to come through the finish.  Next time I'm bringing more electrolyte drinks to power me through that whole ordeal.

Once Mark got his calves massaged he was off and running again.  His finish time goal had already slipped by from having to walk, or more like limp into the aid station, but he was determined to finish the race with a decent time.

Here he is crossing the finish:

...and not a bad time either...
Here's Mark after downing several ice creams, a chocolate milk, and a gallon of Gatorade after his finish. 
As fit as my Marathon Man seems to look in this picture,  Mark was so sore it took him a half hour to walk two blocks to our rental car.  It seems he only moves fast when there's a shiny metal to reward him.  Meanwhile, I was so hot and sweaty from waiting at the finish line I wanted to pick up the pace and get in the air conditioned car.  But not Mark, he could barely walk.  So next time I plan on getting him to the car faster by bringing a dollar store medallion and luring him to the car faster by telling him he can earn a metal if he can get there in under two minutes--and if he can do it in under one, I'll throw in an ice cream.  That should do the trick.

My favorite memory of the whole race adventure was back at the airport two days later on our flight back home.  After they announced our flight was ready to board they invited anyone who needs assistance or extra time boarding because of disabilities to come forward and board first.  That's when my 'Icy Hot' hubby slowly rose to a decrepit standing position, muttered "I think I qualify today for that",  and then shuffled his way forward towards the plane while I followed behind carrying his bags!

1 comment:

  1. So did they let him on the plane with all the disabled people? HEHE.
    His time is extra impressive knowing that he actually stopped at an aid station and walked part of the way. Good job Mark!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!