Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Brave Boy with the YouTube Crazed Mom

My latest confession is that I've become a serious (though often misguided) fan of YouTube these days. But not really for the reasons most people would think. I don't really watch trending videos, crazy home video stunts, or even those silly animal videos my kids love to watch so much. With the exception of Brian Regan stick cartoon videos, which crack me up, my "youtubing" is serious business.
So what am I watching? The truth is I'm a nut for video tutorials. Seriously, you can learn anything on YouTube. In fact, I'm afraid the schooling that can be had on that crazy website will one day make college obsolete.  Here's a list of very oh so important things I've learned recently:
  • How to remove an image using Photoshop
  • How to remove and replace tile grout
  • How to dance the Thriller
  • How to make zipper flowers
  • How to get smoky eyes
My veneration for these videos all started last year when Connor's baseball coach asked me to help keep the score books for an upcoming game.  I refused to admit that I had no idea how to use a score book so I made a beeline for home and began searching YouTube for:

"How to use a baseball score book"
    A few video tutorials later and I was a baseball stat queen...and royally won over by tutorials!

    It's totally revolutionized my life. And unfortunately just recently it revolutionized Connors too, poor guy.

    These last few weeks of school have us so busy that Connor's hair has gotten way to shabby but I just didn't have time to run him into town and get his hair cut. So what's a youtube loving mother to do? I grabbed my waaaay underused hair clippers and my trusty laptop and fired up a tutorial. Poor Connor got a little freaked out that I was watching hair cutting demos on my laptop and about to make my barbershop debut on his head.

    I think his hair turned out pretty good considering all the cuss words I may have used getting it right.
    not only does the kid's now sport a nice new haircut, he also learned a few new colorful words to boot.

    I'm thinking about posting my own tutorial on youtube now...I think I'll call it:
     "How to freak your kid out" and there will be an uploaded video of me cutting Connor's hair.

    1 comment:

    1. Such a great idea! I can't cut hair AT ALL (ask Dakota who's been shaved bald because of previous attempts) but I'm sick of having to take kids to the hairdressers (where we inevitably have to wait for 45 minutes) every other week. On the weekend I was just saying I should take a haircutting class. But your idea is much better! I'm gonna try it!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
     
    This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!