Thursday, September 24, 2009

Home School(Day Two): A Story Problem

Day Two...things are going well so far. I spend my days hoping a room mother will show up with cupcakes.

A peculiar problem arose today when we started doing Janelle's math. She's working on counting money but apparently someone in the house decided to give us a story problem to work out instead. Can you tell from the photo below what's missing?
Let me help you out with the story problem...
A sweet girl named Janelle left her math book sitting on the counter. Along with her math book she left 5 pennys, 5 nickels, 10 dimes, 4 quarters, and a dollar coin. When she returned she discovered a certain hoodlum in the house had taken some of her money. How much did the hoodlum take? And, how hard should we flog said hoodlum?

The important lesson here is that the hoodlum mistook the dollar coin for some cheap arcade token and not for real money. Here in the states we still can't get over the fact that money can come in a variety of different colors and sizes and still actually be REAL. I am now requesting all my dollar bills be exchanged for Miss Liberty dollar coins seeing that they will probably disappear out of my purse far less frequently than the green bills do now.
To add a little fun to home school I decided Janelle must be prepared to become a world traveler so I made her calculate the current exchange rates on the following coins:
Tomorrow I plan to discuss home school uniforms...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!