Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Home School Mom for a Day…or Two!

Home Schooling.  Yes, the “H” word.  I swore I’d never do it.  But, a few years back my sister-in-law Wendy, who very superbly teaches her kids from home, left town and I got a crack at being a substitute teacher to her kids.  This substitute teacher thing was kinda fun.  Wielding all that power over little children…oh the joy!  Forcing them to read and write…and do scary math problems!  It was wonderful.  I personally feel I did much to improve their math skills, mostly because I forced them into running a lap around the house each time they got a problem wrong!  I called it “Active Learning”.  I’m not sure my nieces and nephews had ever experienced such methods (highly effective methods I might add) from such a diabolical teacher so intent on expanding young minds.  I must mention here that my sister-in-law has never asked me to do it again.  Hmmmm…

Well today she gave me a second chance!  Wendy left her youngest daughter Janelle with us while she’s out of town.  This time I promised to rein in the devilish teacher that lurks inside of me and decided to redeem myself by minding my manners. 
We did all our work properly, no running laps for incorrect answers, and I even served up a healthy lunch.  Here’s hoping I get an A+ this time in academics and exceptional marks for my improved behavior!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I like the boot-camp approach. PE and math all neatly wrapped up into one lesson! The little brats should be thankful that you don't make them shave their heads!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!