Monday, January 23, 2012

Christmas in January?

The rapid decline of my aging brain--a worsening condition which only serves to remind me that the inevitable descent into one of those 55 and older communities may be looming in my not too distant decrepit future. 

Today I bought a secret little gift for an upcoming holiday.  I thought about where the perfect place to hide it might be and scanned the house for that gem of a spot.  I zeroed in on what a thought would make the perfect hiding stash and went to put my surprise something there...

Lo and behold I found not one but THREE Christmas presents I had previously hidden months before!  Apparently this wasn't the first time I'd decided that this covert spot was the perfect hideaway!  Several months before Christmas I had bought a few things for the kids and hid them there.  And yes indeed it was a safe spot--even safe from me apparently.  By the time the holidays rolled around I didn't even remember I'd bought these silly Christmas treasures.

Luckily there was a little gift stashed away for each one of my kids still left at home--no kid had been left out of this little scandal.  I brought the gifts downstairs and handed them each a crumpled shopping bag and simply said: 

"Merry Christmas, your mother's an idiot."

They didn't even ask for an explanation as they opened their bags.  This wasn't the first time this sort of unfortunate thing has happened and they know better than to upset an aging parent with questions that will only result in embarrassing confessions of senility.  And perhaps this was not a bad snafu after all since they would have thought these gifts were stupid had they opened them with all their more resplendent stuff on Christmas. 

Connor got a new U of O hat:

Chloe a fortune cookie key chain she'd been wanting for her back pack:

And Mitchell an orange leatherman's tool:
While they were happy with their unexpected surprises I was definitely not happy with my unexpected lapse in memory!

But what can you do?  Except for maybe ask someone out there to call me sometime before Valentine's Day and remind me that I've stashed away some secret somethings in my oft-forgotten hideaway!

Yes, that might help, that is unless I've forgotten where I've put the cordless phone...unfortunately that happens a lot lately too. 


1 comment:

  1. Ok, so you know the beware-of-old-people sign you put at the beginning of this post? That's a REAL street sign out here! Whenever I see it wonder what the grandma is doing to the grandpa; Pinching his bum? Nicking his wallet? Giving him an unconventional prostate exam? Weird.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
This Blog Has Officially Been HaXed by Justin Skillman!!!